Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Turkey Bacon Bread

This past year, at some point, I saw Paula Deen bake off some breadsticks with bacon wrapped around them. I wondered if I could recreate the dish with light breadstick dough and turkey bacon. They came out very nicely (not to spoil the ending).



I took refrigerated breadstick dough, twisted them, sprinkled them with parmesan cheese shreds, and baked them off halfway (just until they were a semi-solid object that I could wrap the bacon around.) Then I wrapped them with turkey bacon so that the ends were tucked underneath, and put them in for another ten minutes or so (or just over half the time remaining.)

We ate them with a salad, with my beloved goat cheese and some veggies.



Chris really enjoyed these, and they reheated very nicely out of the fridge. I think he just used the microwave, but I'm not sure. I just know that for a few days I would see him walking around the house, happily snacking on a bacon stick at any time at random.

Here's one last and slightly disturbing shot, with Chris looking a bit like a Shel Silverstein illustration, ominously moving in on some unsuspecting breadsticks...

No comments:

Post a Comment