Friday, August 4, 2006

World's Greatest Cornbread



In this season of BBQ's and chili cook-offs, it is the finishing touch to have the best cornbread recipe ever. I wrote this down on yellow legal paper some years ago, and I now don't remember where I got it from. TV? A friend? Foodtv.com? I dunno. The mysterious origins are lost in the mists of time. But I'll never make another kind. Once you've had the best? You can poo-poo the rest.

1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
8 oz. of whole canned kernel corn, drained
8 oz. of creamed corn
8 oz. of sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) of melted butter

Mix all of the ingredients well, and pour into a greased 9 x 9 inch pan (the batch shown in the picture has been doubled for one of my friend Cam's fabulous chili nights). Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

That's it! This bread is crazy moist (and trust me, I hate the word "moist" but there's no other way to describe) and never has that gritty-kitty-litter texture. It sure ain't health food, baby... But like I said: the old ways are now dead to us. You try this recipe, and see if you can go back!

1 comment:

  1. [...] bread was light and soft with just a little grit, as Katie said she likes it. Was it as good as the ultimate cornbread? No, no, of course not. But it was very [...]

    ReplyDelete