Thursday, July 27, 2006

Chicken Fajitas



My recipe for chicken (or beef, or veggie) fajitas is based on what I saw the cooks do at Ruby Tuesday's when I worked there. Only I won't tell you what they called the fajita sauce, because it will take your appetite away. And anyway, it bears no resemblance to that substance so I don't even know why they called it that.



Liberally dust the chicken, or whatever meat you are using, with mexican seasoning and salt. Grill it separately. (I use a grill pan, but when we get a house and a gas or charcoal grill, watch my smoke!) Slice bell peppers separately (I'm not a huge fan of the green peppers, but those will work too) and onions in long slices. Sautee them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. When they are beginning to soften, add butter, lime juice, and liberal amounts of worcheshire sauce. That's the big secret sauce! I try and use less butter (just a pat or two), and add some chicken stock -- but you can put up to a stick in there if you want it to taste like it does in the restaurants. Personally, I like it this way better, and it is not greasy.

Slice the grilled meat separately, and add it to the peppers and onions. Add chopped cilantro at the end, and take it off the heat. Serve with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce, guacamole, black beans -- whatever fajita fixings you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment