Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Breakfast Casserole

I'm gonna start this post with a pledge for the four of you that read this blog. I'm done with the semester until mid-January, and you can look for a new post from me every day (yeah that's right, I said EVERY DAY) until I get back to school. And then I promise to update at least once a week after that. K?

Onto the food.

This stuff is gooood!

This recipe was given to me by my friend Sarah that I used to work with. When she sent it to me, it said, "submitted by Peggy R." Submitted to, I know not what. But cheers to Peggy!

1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper (I leave this out, because in terms of cookery, I think green pepper is the facist vegetable that makes everything way too... facist and green peppery)
1 clove garlic, minced
6 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup half-and-half cream (I used milk)
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, diced (fat-free works fine, but integrates less than the regular does)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
ample salt and pepper

Sautee the veggies and set aside. Cream together the eggs, cream cheese and milk. Stir in the cheddar and bread cubes and veggies, and pour everthing into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until center is set. Excellent hot and amazing cold.



I made the one on the right without onions and brought these to the onion-hating in-laws home. Jason devoured the one with onions, and so did Wilma. They were like, "it's way better with the onions." I could have told them that.

Which brings me to my other promise to self: convert all picky-eaters and onion heathens.

No comments:

Post a Comment