Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Low-Carb Experiment (Part 3 of 3)

So here's the last thing I did on Ma's last illustrious weekend here. And boy, she hasn't been getting this treatment lately. She's been coming into the hygiene clinic to sit as my patient, and then going home the next day. I'll treat her like a special guest again in May!

The Kraft South Beach book had a recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Steaks... only thing is, it called for some no-carb steak sauce that I couldn't find. And what I mean by that is, they didn't have it at Joe Caputo's, and I didn't go anywhere else. I made them with the cheat of using my beloved Country Bob's steak sauce instead.



They were very simple to make. You brown lean steaks in the pan, then remove them. In the pan, you then sautee garlic and sun-dried tomatoes (Caputo's had excellent fresh ones, of course, that smelled like a summer garden). Then you add some beef broth, and some steak sauce, and pour that over your steaks. Poof. Fancy steaks.

The mock potatoes are steamed cauliflower that you transfer to the food processor. I added lowfat ricotta cheese, salt and pepper, garlic, and parmesan. You can also use fat-free cream cheese. You can add broth or milk, if you need to thin them. I think they were everyone's favorite part of the meal. They need a lot of seasoning, but once you add plenty I think they are delicious. They reheat really well, too, over the course of up to a week and then some. (I made a lot).

After her time here, I called Ma and she said she'd given up on South Beach already. Still, I think the recipes are keepers. Personally, I can't say I really believe in any diet that requires me to do anything too precisely. I'd rather stick to my own parameters, and the flexibility that I have within those "personal rules." I'd rather go light one day if I overdid things the day before. It just feels less fascist.

No comments:

Post a Comment