Thursday, January 12, 2012

Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

This was a simple and hearty recipe from Clean Eating magazine, which is my current favorite source for recipes, along with Cooking Light. I do think Cooking Light tends to be a bit more reasonable, in terms of not going off the deep end eliminating every bit of sugar and salt. The idea of "clean eating" is to reduce or eliminate processed carbohydrates and refined sugar, and focusing on sweeteners with a low glycemic index. I have been eating this way for some time, and I didn't realize that the method had a name. I was thrilled to see a magazine all about a movement that I didn't even know existed, except in my house.

Most of the ingredients are "whole foods" - as close to their original form as possible. I don't tend to take things as far as they do - if a recipe calls for a teaspoon of Sucanat, well... I'm gonna grab the sugar, or a little honey. The fact that it is low-sugar is good enough for me. I've also found that most of their recipes really lack seasoning. I sometimes add more cumin, coriander, whatever I think might work, and I NEVER pay attention to how much salt and pepper they call for. I just taste it and add until I'm happy. I do like that they have a lot of meat recipes, for when I want that.

This is a not-great picture of their sweet potato, kale, mushroom and chicken soup. The recipe isn't on their site yet, but basically you bring chicken stock to a boil, then bring down to a simmer, and peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, wait ten minutes, then add cubed chicken, chopped kale, and baby bello mushrooms, and cook until all are tender. Serve with parmesan cheese on top, and a pinch of nutmeg. I would say I liked it, but it didn't re-heat as well as I'd expect a soup to (I think some of them get better with time). Very hearty and healthy, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment