Sunday, January 7, 2007

El Compadre

If you have really good margaritas and good mexican food, then the great ambience and music just put everything over the top. That's what they have, in my humble opinion, at El Compadre, the "Home of the Flaming Margarita." And if you have good margaritas, you just may forget to take pictures of the food you ate. Guess what happened to me?

Here is the margarita, though. They place what I think is Bacardi 151 rum inside a hollowed-out citrus shell, float it on the ice, and then light it. Only the first one is lit (after that, you are.) Apologies for the dark pic, but without the flash is the only way to capture the flame.



We came here after getting off the plane, because I was craving guacamole. So began day one of my three-day guacamole bender... I just couldn't get enough of the stuff. El Compadre had lettuce in theirs, which I wasn't totally crazy about, but still it was good. I enjoyed my food, but really, after three of those margaritas, who cares?

The great thing about this place was that a) the margaritas were flavorful, b) it was within stumbling distance of Dave's, and c) that the ambience was great. I'm a sucker for a dark restaurant in which you can spread out in a big booth and hear yourselves talk. (And no, that doesn't mean Denny's is a great restaurant.) They also had a trio playing music, so it was a lot of fun.

They also featured the Largest Pen to Pay Your Bill with on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment