Monday, May 11, 2009

Beyond Easy Vodka Cream Sauce

I'm committed to making things easily, with as few steps as possible. But honestly, I felt guilty about posting this. And then I realized it was two steps beyond simply opening a jar, which I do all the time. With one little rationalization, I went from feeling a little dirty to being one fancy lady!

vodka cream sauce

Last week Ruby had nasty virus, which made her very uncomfortable, and for lack of a better term, "scream-y." All day and evening, even with children's Motrin. On a day like that, jokes aside, I truly don't feel guilty about shortcuts. I warmed a brick of low-fat cream cheese in a skillet until melty. Then I added a jar of Barilla marinara (Bertoli is also good), and two shots of vodka. Then I let it all warm through, and I added some pre-made sun-dried tomato meatballs from Costco. Is that how vodka cream sauce is supposed to be made? I seriously doubt it. And I seriously didn't care. Also, only one of the shots of vodka actually ended up in the sauce, and the other one may have fallen in my mouth.

vodka cream sauce

I served it all over Costco mushroom ravioli. I wasn't a huge fan of the meatballs, but the sauce was very good. I think I will try in the future to make and freeze little meatballs of my own, and save them up for nights like this when I'm really beat. (And by the way, Ruby has made a complete recovery, so don't worry! She is all smiles once again.)

4 comments:

  1. Yay for babies who feel better!

    And you're way ahead of me....on nights when I had a sick, screamy baby, I rarely ever attempted anything as complicated as dinner. Those are the nights for which take-out was invented! Thanks goodness that when they get older, you can leave them to the comfort of a Disney movie while you do things like shower and eat actual food that didn't arrive in a paper bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And seriously, I over-sold myself. Making dinner was actually, like, day three of the virus. I didn't do anything for the first two but leftovers or sending Chris out!

    Thanks for saying that. About having time later. It's so good to hear things like that. Sometimes I feel like I'm never gonna have a hobby again! Sometimes I catch myself looking forward to when she is older and can go unsupervised for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Now, I just need some vodka. And a Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you don't have to make the meatballs, so you can skip Joe's. And I'm sure they have vodka by you. Only they make it in the woods behind your house and call it "shine."

    ReplyDelete