Sunday, April 22, 2007

BBQ Crockpot Chicken

I've mentioned making BBQ chicken in the crockpot before, when I talked about BBQ chicken and goat cheese pizza. But I've tweaked my formula a little bit, and I thought it might be worth mentioning. Put the following mess into a crockpot, and while you might not believe me to look at it beforehand, this actually comes out as BBQ!



About four breasts of chicken, raw or even frozen
two cups of catsup, or ketchup if ya nasty
one cup of mustard, any kind
one capful of liquid smoke
about a half cup or more of molasses
one cup of brown sugar
as much Red Hot sauce as you think you'll like
a "couple, two-tree" shots of bourbon
half a medium onion, diced finely
two cloves diced garlic
a shake of cumin and a sprinkle of coriander
salt and pepper

Cook that on low for four to six hours, depending on whether the chicken is frozen or not. Go past the stage where it is cooked and will shred, on to the stage where those proteins break and it shreds easily. Shred it all right in the pot with two forks.

The recipe has a high sugar content, as all BBQ sauce does, but no fat. Here I put it on a toasted roll with my beloved banana peppers, and of course, goat cheese. Because if food could have love affairs, goat cheese and BBQ sauce would totally make out like Bogie and Bacall.

No comments:

Post a Comment